AR Awards celebrate creativity related to a building type or subject area. This year we seeking out the best libraries (and other buildings for books) completed anywhere in the world over the last five years. Libraries could be for private or public clients, and at scales ranging from the domestic to designs for national institutions (government, universities). Other book-related buildings could include bookshops, bookstores with additional facilities, and book repositories.
We are inviting entries from the designers of buildings that address challenges and opportunities related to the display and storage of books in an exemplary way, and which have created precedents for others to learn from. All entries will be reviewed by the expert international judging panel which will choose a shortlist of up to five commended buildings, and select a winner after the buildings have been visited.
All commended projects will be published in The Architectural Review in the December/January issue.
The commended projects will be promoted via the AR website, emails and social media to more than a million readers worldwide.
All commended projects will be visited by an independent critic before judges select the winner.
An image of the winning project will be published as the cover of the December/January issue of the Architectural Review.
Architects are invited to submit entries comprising buildings completed in the last five years. Any form of library is eligible, for example:
- Domestic libraries (interiors, extensions)
- Community libraries
- City/civic libraries
- Regional libraries
- National libraries
- Government (eg libraries based in parliaments or similar)
- University (institution)
- Faculty (departmental, eg law library)
- Extensions to any of the above
- Archive (ie an element of book storage rather than the usual building type)
- Bookstore (specialist bookshop which provides a book experience)
Enter your projects using our simple registration. All projects must have been built in the last 5 years, there are no budget or location restrictions.
- Register on the enter page and enter your contact and project details.
- Provide us with 250 words of explanatory text describing the project.
- Upload your 2 entry boards to your online entry - these should include images and explanatory text and will be used for judging so are the main part of your entry.
- We will require the artwork for each board as a PDF file containing compressed images, drawings and vectorised text. Files should not exceed 12Mb in size and do not require trim lines or bleed. Projects will be printed on two A2 sized boards.
- To ensure anonymity in judging, no names of entrants or collaborating parties may appear on any part of the board. When you register your details online, you will be given a reference number. PLEASE ENSURE THIS REFERENCE NUMBER IS PROVIDED WHEN UPLOADING YOUR BOARDS VIA THE ENTRY FORM. Only after the Jury has made its decision will the identity of the winners be revealed.
- Boards should include at least ONE PLAN and ONE SECTION of the project as well as images and a short explanatory text.
- Submit your entries by the entry deadline. You can start and save your entry to come back to at any point before the entry deadline.
Use of images of promotional material:
The Architectural Review also reserves the right to make use of images of winning projects (both in print and digital media) for promotional material and editorial use in connection with the Award. For instance, this might include publicising an exhibition (of winning entries), a lecture series (featuring the winning architects), or promoting the award itself. Use of material in this capacity either in whole or part will not attract payment of copyright. Where we are made aware of their names, photographers will be credited.
Early bird rate entry deadline: Friday 27 July 2018 (£325)
Final entry deadline: Friday 21 September 2018 (£375)
Payment via invoice is only available up to 5 weeks before the entry deadline, after this time entries must be paid by credit card. The credit card option is available throughout the whole entry campaign.